Different factors contribute to the cost of a Melbourne criminal lawyer. First, the cost would depend on the type of charges. The simplicity or complexity of the case as well as the quality and experience level of the legal representation that you want to hire will also contribute to the cost of hiring a criminal lawyer in Melbourne.
On average, the cost of a criminal lawyer varies from $350 to $850 per hour. As mentioned, many things contribute to the actual cost that you pay when engaging a criminal lawyer for legal representation. In this post, we will look at some fundamental facts about the cost of a Melbourne criminal lawyer.
How much does a non-Complex Criminal Case Cost in Melbourne?
A simple and non-complex hearing or sentence in a criminal case is as simple as they come. Most times, they do not involve multiple legal issues and can be resolved within a couple of hearings. The cost of a non-complex hearing or sentence is about $3,400 to $6,500 per day in a District Court and $1,600 to $3,200 in a Local Court.
Cost of a Melbourne Criminal Lawyer for Drug Possession
The basic cost of engaging an experienced Melbourne criminal lawyer in a case of drug possession is $1,600. This cost covers the preparation and attendance of a one-day hearing at a local court for sentence.
If the case requires further preparation, which may include getting expert reports like psychologist reports, and other issues like negotiating with the police, the cost can ramp up. It can cost as much as $2,200 at the end of the day.
Cost of a Melbourne Criminal Lawyer for Drink Driving Charges
Just like in the case of drug possession, the cost of hiring an experienced lawyer for a case of drunk driving is an average of $1,600. The cost covers preparation and attendance of a day court hearing at the local court. Depending on how complex the case is and the scope of preparation that the Melbourne criminal lawyer has to make, it can increase to about $3,000 or more.
Do I need a Melbourne Criminal Lawyer to represent me?
It is not compulsory to get a Melbourne criminal lawyer to represent you in a criminal case but it is highly recommended.
A criminal lawyer specializes in criminal law and they have the competence and experience to guide you and prevent you from making any mistakes and unnecessarily ruining your case. Here are some reasons why you should consider hiring a lawyer for your criminal case.
- A criminal lawyer will explain the meanings in legal documents that you may not understand. They will also help you understand all your legal responsibilities and rights.
- A lawyer will also offer you an explanation of all limitations that may apply within the purview of your case and also guide you in filling out your court forms.
- A Melbourne criminal lawyer will also help you talk to the police and other authorities, especially when they represent you in court. With this, you can avoid saying things that will ruin your case in court.
- A lawyer will offer experienced guidance and insight regarding the strengths and weaknesses of your options, police case, and advice on the best approach to your case.
- They can easily identify different opportunities to bargain with the prosecution to downgrade or drop the charges early.
With these benefits, it is obvious that hiring a Melbourne criminal lawyer for your case is the best decision to give you a good shot in your case.
As mentioned, different things make up the final cost of using the service of a criminal lawyer. It is recommended that you discuss your budget with your Melbourne criminal lawyer and agree on the terms of service before you hire any legal representation.